CDM offers a robust, year-round internship program to law students and others interested in gaining hands-on experience with our work. Based in our Mexico City office, interns have the opportunity to gain an immersive experience in various aspects of our work, whether legal and policy, outreach and education, or development and communications. Due to the demands of the program, we request that interns commit to spending 10 weeks, full-time, and on-site. Part-time, short-term, or home-based volunteerships may be considered in exceptional circumstances, except during our Summer Law Clerk program.
Summer: Every summer, CDM welcomes 4-6 interns into our summer cohort for a period of 10 weeks, usually from late May through early August. While geared especially toward 1L and 2L students, applicants with diverse academic and professional backgrounds may also apply. As our summer program is especially competitive, we encourage interested applicants to apply as early as possible – ideally in late fall or early winter. Interviews typically take place between December and January, with decisions mailed in February and March.
Year-round, law clerk responsibilities will vary, but may include:
- Conduct extensive intake and follow-up interviews with clients and potential clients;
- Conduct legal research, represent clients, and support CDM’s ongoing federal and/or state litigation under the supervision of CDM’s legal director;
- Participate in CDM´s policy campaigns under the supervision of CDM’s policy director;
- Participate in outreach and conduct “know-your-rights” trainings for migrants in their home communities before they leave for the U.S.;
- Collaborate with partner organizations in Mexico and the U.S.
- Requirements: All of our internship and fellowship programs require that applicants can demonstrate advanced proficiency in both English and Spanish. As CDM is unable to provide interns with compensation or amenities, we encourage those who apply to seek outside funding and/or course credit for their time.
To apply for an internship, please email email@example.com with a letter of interest, resume or CV, and a list of three references in either Spanish or English, whichever is preferred. Although we accept applications on a rolling basis, we strongly encourage applicants to submit materials by the following deadlines:
Summer internships (May-August): Submit by December 31
Fall internships (September-December): Submit by April 31
Winter internships (January – April): Submit by August 31
Please note that due to high demand and limited capacity, we are unable to accommodate all who apply (although we wish we could!).
CDM is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with diverse backgrounds and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.